Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Moments to Remember

Yesterday it was just Finn and I in the afternoon. The sky was stormy and the rain was pouring down. The tv was off and the only sound besides our chatter was the weather outside. We had both changed into our snuggly clothes and sat down at the dining room table, Finn in her big girl booster seat and me at the table, to share some soup for lunch. We enjoyed our potato leek soup and some cheerios and after we finished since Finn was content in her seat, I grabbed the Russian nesting dolls she'd recently discovered and enjoyed playing with and put them on her tray in front of her. For a good 20 minutes or so we just played and chatted. She pulled the dolls apart and put them back together, stacking and sorting, looking up at me with pride and a smile on her face at her accomplishment.

I loved her looks of deep thought and curiousity as she approached something she'd never done before and figured it out. I loved spending time just the two of us - no rush to be anywhere or get anything done. I loved the quiet of the house and the sound of the rain. I loved teaching my daughter something new and watching her figure things out so quickly. I loved smelling the sweet sent of her baby shampoo as I leaned down to kiss the top of her as I pulled her out of her booster seat. There aren't a lot of moments where I just slow down and do one thing at a time. I want to remember moments like yesterday where I just stopped and enjoyed some time with Finn. And I want her to remember those times too.

No comments:

Post a Comment